Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Tales of Harem 2: Epilogue

While Naoki’s party was getting as far away from the capital as they could, Leonora kneeled and bowed her head before the queen’s throne in the castle’s audience chamber.

“Whatever my reasons, I never should have disobeyed my queen. I will not attempt to defend my actions, so please tell me my punishment.”

Her formal apology and her solemn expression hinted at her determination.

But Sophie smiled as she responded.

“Why would I ever punish someone for doing the right thing, Leonora?”

“…!?”

“I have long thought you should think for yourself more often. Yes, ever since you became a royal knight ten years ago.”

“R-really?”

“But you were instead our most loyal knight. Too loyal, really. I thought that would never change…but it’s strange. You were so dedicated to your duty as a knight…and now you do this.”

Sophie paused and stared at Leonora before continuing.

“Was it the Hero who changed you?”

“Eh? No, I…”

Leonora blushed because Sophie was right.

On that day she gave the Hero her virginity and succumbed to the pleasure, she had lost her pride as a knight. And her confidence too.

She had thought firm loyalty to her master’s commands was all there was to being a knight.

But doing so had caused her to lose sight of what it even meant to be a knight.

She began to wonder if everything she had believed in was a lie.

So the night before, when Sophie gave her that command, she had made a decision.

She had chosen to sleep with the Hero because she wanted to, not because she had been ordered to.

And in doing so, she had realized she remained herself even after learning of this new pleasure and nearly drowning in it.

She had realized there was a form knighthood that she could still believe in.

The realization had taken acting of her own volition instead of on her master’s command.

(The Hero is the same. Whenever he sleeps with a woman, he does it because he wants to, not because it his duty. Perhaps that is what makes him the Hero.)

Sophie’s smile grew even gentler.

“Yes…he truly is the Hero. He may not realize it himself, but he is constantly changing his surroundings. And I am sure these changes will bring even greater happiness to our kingdom.”

“I see…”

Then someone rushed into the audience chamber, out of breath.

It was Marie and Sidica.

“Mother, mother! Please forgive me!”

“Please wait, Marie! Rethink this!”

“I have made up my mind and you can’t stop me, Sidica!”

“Princess Marie!? Why are you dressed like that!?”

Leonora’s eyes widened.

Where she had gotten it was a mystery, but Marie was wearing travel gear.

She even wore a sword at her hip.

Almost like…

Leonora had a very bad feeling about this and Marie soon confirmed it herself.

“From this day forth, I shall be known as Adventurer Marie!! I depart at once on a journey to become the Hero’s wife!!”

“Do you have any idea how dangerous that would be? And what about your fear of pain?”

Sidica desperately tried to stop the overexcited princess, but Marie brushed it off.

“I’ll be fine! Mother, please give me permission!”

Sophie smiled bitterly.

“Leonora, it would seem you weren’t the only one changed by the Hero.”

Then she nodded to her daughter.

“Go ahead and chase after the Hero. But do not do anything reckless. If you promise to always do what Leonora tells you, then you have my permission.”

“Oh, I promise! Thank you so much, mother!”

“Eh? I-I’m going too?”

It was all moving too fast for Leonora.

“Of course you’re going,” said Marie. “You are the captain of my knights! Hee hee hee hee. How dare you leave without telling me, Hero. But I will see you again soon enough!”

“Wh-what is even happening anymore?”

Leonora’s armor clanked as Marie dragged her out of the audience chamber.

“Queen Sophie, please permit me to accompany Marie!”

Left behind, Sidica ran over to the throne.

“I can tell where the Hero is! A full night has passed and my powers of divination remain!”

“No, Sidica. You cannot do that. You have your own training to complete.”

That answer came not from the queen but from Ekaterina who stepped into the audience chamber.

She had Joanna and Clara by her side.

“Abbatissa Ekaterina! What are you talking about!?”

“These two have told me everything. Your power is the power of foresight.”

“…!”

“I imagine it was awakened by the Hero. Sidica, you will be the next Saint, so I will teach you everything you must know.”

Sidica was surprised, but she did not back down from her previous request.

“B-but that dumb girl needs me with her or…”

Then she realized Sophie was here and fell silent.

But the queen only smiled peacefully.

Ekaterina brought her staff to her forehead in an expression of thanks.

“You have spent a lot of effort for a very long time making sure all of Princess Marie’s wishes came true, haven’t you?”
And…

“But giving someone everything they want is not necessarily a good thing. That is an especially important lesson for one with the power of foresight.”

The way Ekaterina hinted at greater meaning made Sidica gasp.

“Are you saying you knew about my plan!? Oh, of course you did… You foresaw it, didn’t you!?”

“If I had moved to stop it sooner, it never would have ended this way.”

Ekaterina’s expression was bright.

The Saint who had supported the kingdom all alone for so long had been granted the hope that was a successor.

Sophie nodded.

She too had been granted hope.

“Yes. So, Sidica, it is about time you learned to live a life away from Marie. Just accept it. And I promise you Marie will be all right. She will return. With the Hero by her side.” The Queen of Lesdea joyously looked up toward heaven. “And then the entire kingdom must hold a grand party to celebrate. ''All of you'' will be a part of it, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment